Monday, June 22, 2009

We Went to Alabama

After spending 18 long months in Missouri (without visiting our family), we finally returned to our home town. Birmingham was calling our name, and we went'a'runnin ... Afterall, our youngest little man, Lennon (now 10 months old *gasp*) had never ever been to Alabama, much less out of the awful state of Missouri.
We decided it would be best to break up our trip and make a vacation out of it. Our very first stop was the St Louis Arch. Chance (our 4 yr old miniature schnauzer) made the trip with us, and so, of course, we had to alter things a bit. Our original plan was to visit the museum at the Arch, and then spend the day at the St Louis Zoo (which if I remember correctly was named #3 on the Parent's Magazine Best Zoos)... However, as most families know ... things change at the last minute when you have kids ... and spoiled rotten animals ... We had to skip the Arch museum, gift shop, and even the zoo... because of Chance. I don't regret a second of it.
Because we were trying to break up the trip, we replaced the trip to the zoo with a trip to Metropolis, Illinois... Home of Superman. Here, this tiny, tiny town has a giant statue of superman, which Benjamin just absolutely drooled over. We enjoyed the giftshop, and the nearby park, and continued on our long treck to the 'Ham. (For those who don't know... it generally takes us about 14 hours start to finish). Superman was a great stop, and after a Papa John's Rest Stop Picnic, we were on our way to the finish line.
We finally reached Alabama, at which point Nathan flipped through his Ipod to find "Sweet Home Alabama" as we crossed the state line. You'll never have an appreciation for the state (or the song, for that matter) until you've been gone for way too long.
It feels good to be home. Even when home isn't home anymore.
In Alabama, we spent as much time as possible eating our favorite Southern foods, and spending time with our favorite people. We spent a lot of time with my parents, and Savannah LIVES FOR her PawPaw, so that was definitely NOT time wasted. We visited Nathan's family a lot too. His sister is Savannah's ultimate hero, so they both ate each other up. We even ventured down to Montgomery (which, by the way we could NOT find a Montgomery shot glass ANYWHERE) ... where we spent an amazing time with some fabulous Zarembas.
The time in Alabama was a blast. But toward the end. I wanted my comfort back. I wanted my routine. I wanted my bed.

All this brought me to realize that very very very very soon (less than 100 days), we'll be leaving for The Netherlands. How long will it take to find my comfort? When will I feel "at home"?
There's no way to know ... but I know as long as God is leading our way, and I have Nathan beside me, I'll be ok.

So.
If you're looking for a European adventure in a few months, please stop by (what is sure to be our teeny tiny) house, and say hello. I'm sure I'll be craving a little bit of America.

And. If you could bring some South along with you ... that would be just fantastic

2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie...teared up a bit when I saw my title as "Savannah's ultimate hero" ... and also to think about all that yall will be going through in the next year. It won't always be easy or fun, but I know it will be sooo worth it!

    And yes, I am looking for a European adventure. AND I'm southern, so you're getting a package deal with me! ...but I'll bring some Milo's tea as well, just in case I don't satisfy your Southern cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've played "Sweet Home Alabama" crossing the state line after long road trips/vacations & gotten teary eyed... I can only imagine what it's like after actually living somewhere else!

    If I can ever afford a European adventure, I swannee I'll look you up in the Netherlands, & I'll bring plenty of South with me!

    ReplyDelete